Friday, August 28, 2020

Home Alone

 


Loneliness

All those moth-bitten cliches
about being alone
and being lonely.

Like,
"the last word in lonesome
is me..."

And the equally moth-mangled
conventional wisdom
about never being alone.

"When you walk through the storm,
hold your head up high..."

...and all that.

Which is true?

Are we ever alone?

Are we never alone?

They can't both be true.

It is objectively true
that you are never alone.

Even when there are
no other humans around
with whom you can interact,
there is nature
and your own thoughts
and music,
books,
television,
the ever-lovin' internet...
to name a few
ready companions.

But sometimes
the sense and sensations
of being alone
and bereft
are subjectively
overwhelming.

When you are lonely,
there is scant comfort
in cliches
and conventional wisdom,
and hungry moths
are no company.

We must learn
to be at home
with ourselves,
with our thoughts,
with our memories,
with our imagination,
with our faith.

We are not alone,
but we must learn
to be at home
alone.


7 comments:

  1. This is very thought provoking. I'm completely at home with myself, which makes my life content when alone, but conversation with another individual, who is actually listening to me, brings me great joy. The collage is very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I am comfortable alone; but I enjoy conversation, too. Thank you for also commenting on the collage.

      Delete
  2. Reading this I cannot help but think of my sisters. One had just as soon be alone, she seemed to need no one. I was always welcome, but I could tell when it was time to leave. The other Kat, needed someone hated to be alone. We traveled the country in motor homes, us and she and Dick. When he died, my wife drove Kat's motorhome for a year so she could travel with us. She found a husband as was happy. My hearing has isolated me, and other than my wife I had just as soon be alone. I liked the statement above...
    Are we ever alone?

    Are we never alone? Yes both can be true.
    Loved your memories from San Diego. I was never stationed there but visited several times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Losing one's life-partner has to be the epitome of feeling alone. Thankfully, you and I are not there yet, nor are our lovely brides. Good to hear from you, Jack.

      Delete
    2. I still cannot figure how to follow your blog. Cannot find a 'follow' to click.
      Merry Christmas....

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Jack - I think I may have now provided a way for you to subscribe / follow. Also, you may wish to opt for my other, slightly more current and active blog at https://trivialmusicsilliness.wordpress.com

      Cheers!

      Delete